Saturday, July 25, 2009

The Parable of the Strawberry Sticks


Last night I was feeling a little impatient with God because I wanted to make more of a difference for his kingdom. Recently, not much seemed to be happening.

Rick walked in while I was ruminating. Our friend John Olson had just left, and Rick told me that one of the themes for John's upcoming novel, Powers, is that we don't always have to be doing something for God. Often he just calls us to stand before him.

After our conversation, I went out to the deck and saw what our son Ryan had done with strawberries and chopsticks. We had planted strawberry seeds about a month ago, and there's been no sign of life yet. But never one to be discouraged, Ryan has now solved the problem.

We may fool a lot of people with Christian work that's like a beautiful strawberry on a stick, but we won't fool God.

All God wants me to do is take care of the soil by staying close to him. He will do the growing.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I love your connections here. Thank you for the blessing of this post.
In Him,
Amy

Anette Acker said...

Thank you, Amy! I really appreciate it. :)

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many times I have put strawberries on sticks in my life to hurry the evidence of growth... Ryan's strawberry patch is a great metaphor! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Love,

Amy Olson

Anette Acker said...

Amy O.,

I hear you! God obviously found it necessary to drive that point home twice with me (first through John's theme and then Ryan's creation).

We'll have to schedule that trip to the Monterey Bay Aquarium soon!

Love, Anette