Wednesday, May 13, 2009

What is Your Life?

James puts it in perspective for us: "What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." (James 4:14) My life in this world has a beginning and an end. I am like a cut flower that will bloom for a short while and then wither and die.

But Christ came to plant me by streams of living water. This life is but a prelude to Life.

In light of that truth, shouldn't I let him use me as he sees fit? Shouldn't I lay down my perishable life, so I can pick up his eternal life? Each day gives me an opportunity to lay down my life for him. Let's say the Master has a collection of knives to use for his own good purposes. If he wants to use me to perform necessary surgery, should I say: "No! I want you to use me to butter the toast, or better yet, spread the frosting on the cake"? When he wants to spread frosting on the cake, he will choose the right knife, and maybe it will be me. But maybe not.

If God wants me to encourage, I have to encourage. If he wants me to serve, I have to serve. And if he wants my words to convict, I have to speak them. If my life belongs to him, I am a tool in his collection, ready for whatever use he has for me.

Not only is my life a mist--this world is. The pressure I feel to conform is momentary. His truth is eternal.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -- Jim Elliot

No comments: